Early Bird Registration now open! Join us for our all-new summit May 29-31, 2019 at Mohegan Sun Convention Center. Register Now →
The First Amendment Summit will provide your agency with the confidence to respond in a constitutionally-minded manner.
It is not sufficient for law enforcement personnel to confine their constitutional comfort levels and knowledge base to the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. Rather, in a time when citizens and employees alike, are testing the waters of the First Amendment, law enforcement agencies must be prepared to respond to such challenges in a constitutionally-effective manner. Is your agency adequately prepared to deal with mass demonstrations which necessitate your agency employing First Amendment appropriate crowd control techniques? Is your agency prepared to defend against claims by your employees that a recent employment action violated the First Amendment? Is your agency prepared to defendant against claims from citizens that your agency violated their freedom of speech by blocking them on social media or removing comments they made? The First Amendment Summit will focus on these areas and help provide your agency with the confidence to respond in a constitutionally-minded manner.
- First Amendment Basics
- Application of the First Amendment to Law Enforcement Administration and Operations
- The Role of Law Enforcement at First Amendment Events
- Crowd Management and Protecting Civil Rights
- First Amendment and Social Media for Law Enforcement
- Guarding Against First Amendment Employment-Based Claims
- Filming the Badge: The Rights and Limitations of the Public and Press to Film Law Enforcement